Helminths (colloquially - worms) are internal parasites that infect dogs digestive system, brain, lungs, liver and even the heart muscle. Parasites (from the Greek «parasites» which means "freeloader") are organisms that colonize inside or outside the body of their victim (the dog) and use it as a source of food and habitat.
When the dog is heavily infested with worms the dog loses weight, looks disheveled and falls constantly her hair fades. There is indigestion, poor appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. Worms especially dangerous for young dogs: they lag behind in development, their immune system is weakened, they are liable to infectious diseases.
Helminths are permanent concomitant of your Jack, especially if you live outside the city and your pet spends most of the time on the street.
The larvae of worms is practically everywhere: in water, in the ground, in the grass, in the feces of dogs, fleas carry the larvae, etc. Your Jack has just plenty of opportunities to "catch" some of the parasite. The most common among them are round and tapeworms. To avoid the infection by the parasite, spend deworming 2-4 times a year as preventive measure. The most common anthelminthic drugs are Drontal, Pyrantel, Drontsid etc.
How to give a pill to the dog? You can wrap the pill in a treat, but savvy Jack often eats the treat, then spitting out the medicine. Open the mouth of the dog, take a pill and try to put it as deeply as possible into the mouth, between the root of the tongue and cheekbone. If you put the tablet on the root of the tongue, dogs often vomit the pill. Close the dog's mouth and hold it closed a few seconds until you are sure that the tablet is swallowed. No need to lift up the dog's head up. You can pour a little water into the mouth with the help of a syringe or a syringe without a needle.
Before using any medication, carefully read the instructions for its use to determine the correct dosage. Overdose can lead to serious consequences, up to the death of the dog. The small portion of the drug vice versa will not have the desired impact.
FLEAS is external parasites, wingless insects, which usually settles on dogs. It is believed that fleas live in locations of dogs, and only 10% of them live directly in the dog's coat, fleas are quite difficult to detect in the wool, because they are very small and move very quickly. However, in white wool Jack easily detect flea feces - small black chips that are an indicator of the presence of fleas. In addition, blood-sucking insects that cause trouble to the dog with their bites, they can cause allergies (flea allergic dermatitis), the larvae of fleas are carriers of helminth eggs.
Risk of fleas is the complexity of their elimination. Effective and simple methods to control fleas are not invented yet. The speed of propagation of fleas is truly fantastic: one flea within 30 days can be reproduced up to 25,000 individuals.
Therefore, watch carefully so that your Jack haven’t brought on himself the fleas in the house. They instantly flooded carpets, furniture, curtains and remove them will be very difficult. As always, it is easier to prevent infecting your pet than eliminate the effects. Wear on pet the special collar or treat his fur with special preparations (sprays or drops) especially in the spring, summer and autumn.
If your pet still has caught fleas, buy special shampoo or spray at the pet store. Clean Jack and do not forget also about his litter.
TICKS are wingless arthropods parasitizing insects.
Attacks both animals and humans. They carry many dangerous diseases.
They live in forests, swamps, grasslands, steppes, and lately, even in city parks. It is the largest representative of mites 5-7 mm in length. It attaches to the body of the victim with its proboscis and feeds by the blood of the victim.
Jacks represent an ideal target for mites: they adore woodland walks, loves to climb through the bushes, wondering their inhabitants, run on the meadow expanses, roll in the grass.
Especially if you have a working dog which regularly hunts.
Ticks are active from early spring to late autumn. The mite can stick to any part of the dog's body, but still his places are areas with thin skin - face, ears, eyelids, groin, elbow area. As a rule, the tick adds to the dog inconvenience, itching, and you'll notice the nervous behavior of your pet, licking or scratching tick attachment sites. It is quite easy to detect a mite at short-haired Jack. The faster you find the parasite and remove it, the less likely pet the disease piroplasmosis appears (dangerous blood parasite diseases). The fact is that a tick in the time of bloodsucking produces saliva which prevents blood clotting. If the tick is a carrier of piroplasmosis, together with the saliva piroplazmy get in the blood of dogs causing the disease. The more piroplazm got into the blood, the higher the risk of disease. Therefore, first, it is necessary to remove the tick.
To be sure that the remote mite was not a carrier of the tick piroplasmosis, it would be ideal to carry it to the hospital for analysis. But if you do not have this capability, then carefully monitor your pet after the bite. The incubation period of piroplasmosis is 5-10 days.
How to remove a tick? Put the oil petroleum jelly on the place of the attachment or, and then grab the body of the tick with tweezers as close to the dog's skin as possible. Gently pull the tick out, making a slow rotational motion, as if twisting it. After removal, check whether there was a proboscis of mite under the skin, as this can lead to inflammation. Anoint the wound by any antiseptic.